I live in Pinawa, Manitoba – a small forest community in the Canadian Shield. Pinawa is located in Treaty 1 territory, traditionally inhabited by Ojibwe First Nation. An ancient culture that predates the Ojibwe left signs on this land with whom I live – signs of their deep respect for Earth as Mother. Living with sacred land has changed me. My academic work is motivated by deep concern for my grandchildren’s future on a planet with a changing climate. I study to understand how we got into this mess, how we can journey collectively toward wholeness and how we can regenerate the future.
My Learning Journey
- Bombardier scholar, doctoral student, University of Alberta 2017 – current.
- MA – Integrated Studies (Athabasca University) 2016
- B.A. (U.Manitoba) 1972; Cert.Ed. (U.Manitoba) 1974; B.Th. (CMBC) 1978.
- Applied Counseling Certificate (U.Manitoba, Continuing Education)
- Focusing & Complex Trauma Certificate (Prairie Region Centre for Focusing)
- Focusing Oriented Therapist (Focusing Institute)
Peer-Reviewed Academic Publications (selected)
- Sharing economies and Indigenous matricultures in the Land now called Canada (forthcoming Spring 2020). Canadian Woman Studies Journal special issue on The Maternalist Gift Economy: The Hidden Alternative to Patriarchy and Capitalism.
- Deconstructing necrophilia: Eco/feminist perspectives on the perversion of death and love (2019). Book chapter in Ana Isla (Ed.), Climate chaos: Ecofeminism and the land question. Inanna Publications.
- Becoming ecocentric: Transgressive learning (2018). Book chapter in L. Schultz & T. Pillay (Eds.), Global citizenship, common wealth and uncommon citizenships, pp. 191-205. Centre for Global Citizenship Education and Research, University of Alberta. doi.org/10.1163/9789004383449_013
- Mnajdra: Cosmology of the sky. (2017). Journal of Integrated Studies, 9(1).
Click this link to read unpublished papers: www.ualberta.academia.edu/IreneFriesenWolfstone
Irene, I was so touched by your presentation at our ASWM panel on Saturday. Would you be willing to share your PowerPoint with me? I would like to use it as a jumping off point to begin stretching my mind in some new directions! Bright and deep blessings, Dawn
Hi Dawn. Thank you for your kind comments. Look for an email from wolfston@…with my presentation. I so enjoyed your presentation on Hildegard as Wisdom Keeper. It was delightful to hear a chorus of women in our audience repeating the Latin words after you played the music clip. I recommend an extraordinary CD of her music titled “The Origin of Fire”by Anonymous (2005 http://www.harmoniamundi.com). It explores her theme of “Fiery Spirit”.
Irene, I always enjoy reading your thoughts.